Have you noticed...
We are sooooo not right!
I don't know if it has to do with the fact that he's a teenager, or more to do with the fact that he's my son, but we just couldn't help ourselves as we sat there and critiqued the entire show. We didn't do it out of any malicious intent, there was nothing mean-spirited about it. We were just being our normal, weird selves.
Now, don't get me wrong, I love Rudolph (and all of the other Rankin/Bass animated specials), but we just couldn't resist making the following observations/comments about the story. And these are a totally different set of observations from those I posted last year. Maybe there's some overlap, but most of these ones are new.
1) We're not sure whose mythos is correct regarding elves. Are they short and petite like those we see at Christmas time? Or are they tall, slender and wise like those we read about in Tolkien's books? In the latter case, Santa must employ dwarves, not elves.
2) Hermie doesn't want to make toys, so he does a lousy job at it. His boss wants him to do better, but threatens to fire him if he doesn't do better. Doesn't that work to Hermie's advantage?
3) Santa told Donner that he "ought to be ashamed" of himself for having a Red-Nosed child. Wouldn't that be like telling me that I ought to be ashamed of myself for having a red-haired daughter? As if there's anything I could do to change it - even if I wanted to.
4) Why does Yukon Cornelius have a poodle on his sled-team?
5) Why doesn't Yukon Cornelius' tongue freeze on his pick when he licks it? Wouldn't it be kinda like when Flick get's his toungue stuck on the flag pole in A Christmas Story?
6) Why does Yukon Cornelius have a gun if he's not going to use it on the "Bumbles"?
7) Do we know why the Doll is a misfit, yet? Nobody's ever answered that question.
8) A squirt gun that squirts jelly? Couldn't we just clean it out and fill it with water?
9) A train with square wheels on it's caboose? I guess Santa will give it to some kid who just got a wood working kit.
10) Why wasn't Donner fighting with the "Bumbles" when Rudolph found everyone at the lair?
11) What was taking the "Bumbles" so long to eat everyone, anyways?
12) Now that the "Bumbles" is toothless, what will he eat? I guess pork dinners are out of the question now.
13) All of the misfit toys were given umbrellas to use like parachutes. All of them except for the bird, which, incidentally, can't fly. What's the deal with that?
O.K., that's enough of that.
Hey! Tomorrow begins the ABC/Family Channel's 25 days of Christmas! WOOHOO !!!
Don't worry... I'm not going to post updates to what specials are on when, this year. You'll just have to find out what's on for yourself.