Saturday, March 29, 2008

Be not afraid

Of me.

I was out earlier this morning, doing my laundry and eating breakfast, and couldn't help notice that several people were showing signs that they were afraid of me.

The first example; an elderly lady, and her daughter, at the laundramat had left their "stuff" on a table beside one of the seats in the corner. I placed my "stuff" at the the opposite end of the table and sat down in a seat there. When they came back from loading their machines, they conveniently moved their "stuff" to the other side of the laundramant. Hmmmmm...
Next; I follow an older couple in to the Golden Corral. They took a seat next to one of the windows. I took my seat in the corner beside their table. They sat there for a minute as I went up to get my breakfast. When I came back they had moved to the opposite side of the dining area. Hmmmmm...
Also, as I sat eating my wonderfully, delicious breakfast, there was a family that kept looking over at me. The little boy seemed apprehensive about making eye contact with me, even though I smiled at him the whole time. Hmmmmm...

Ya know, I really don't mind it that people seem to have some concern about who, or what, I may be. I kinda like the mystique that it evokes. It's especially curious since I usually carry my Bible with me to the laundramat (I like to have something to read while I'm doing my laundry). I have to wonder what they're thinking about a big guy like me with a mohawk, a Punisher T-shirt and a Bible.
Then again, I've never really been one to be too concerned about what other people think of me.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger One Wink at a Time said...

This saddens me, knowing that there are people who will never get to know you, simply because of the way they perceive you.

12:05 PM  
Blogger M+ said...

It's especially sad that not too long ago I actually did have a great conversation with a stranger who didn't pre-judge me by my appearance. I think you remember the story about the guy at the Golden Corral.
Who, BTW, I recently ran into again - at the Golden Corral - and had another great conversation with. Interesting, huh?

3:44 PM  
Blogger One Wink at a Time said...

I do remember that conversation and that's way cool that you met up again :-)

6:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License.