Wednesday, March 19, 2008

"We have some nice parting gifts for you"

That's the impression several of my co-workers had as we received our first real perk of being employees of Royal Philips this week; our brand new Sonicare Toothbrushes.



Everybody got one. And I love mine! But I have to make a note of not taking it out of my mouth while it's still turned on. There's toothpaste all over my bathroom now...
Just kidding. I cleaned it up right away.
But anyways...
I really despise the fact that I have so many co-workers who refuse to ever acknowledge anything positive about where we work. They complain about bonuses not being big enough. They complain about breaks not being long enough. They complain about the cafeteria and the food service. And now that the Philips acquisition of Respironics is final, they're convinced that we're on our way out the door to make way for new people to take our jobs. They see these gifts, not as a "welcome", but as a "parting gift".
Please!
How do these people survive in this world as such lame victims of their own negative imaginations?
As far as I'm concerned, I'm pretty happy to be a part of the Philips Home Healthcare Division. It's a brand new adventure for everyone. And I, for one, am going to make the most of it.

Labels: , , , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger One Wink at a Time said...

You go, dude!
Don't feel bad, I remember the same thing happening first time I used one of them thar new-fangled tooth brushes...

6:30 PM  
Blogger Jeff A said...

I am telling you, blogger hates me. It totally mangled my last comment. Anyway, I was saying, I haven't mastered my manual toothbrush yet, I sure couldn't handle that thing!

1:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think your coworkers comments are common for manufacturing workers everywhere in general and specifically those in Pgh who saw their lives and families vanish with the steel mills and foreign outsourcing.

That being said I think some people are just ungrateful and feel the need to blame others for their lot in life. You want bigger bonuses & pay raises, better benefits.... go find another job or work smarter at the one you have to be more productive, or have the balls go start your own company and make better rules. You wont find many companies with better than you have and there are a lot worse (you have a cafeteria at the plant for crying out loud!!! I have the vending wheel of death where I play russian roulette with expiration dates). Manufacturing is a tough life/job, it really is, but it is the one you HAVE CHOSEN (see above about new job if you hate it so much).

And you wonder why our manufacturing jobs are disappearing....

11:08 AM  
Blogger M+ said...

Wink;
I'm still doing it...
Starting to get the hang of it, though.
Jeff;
This is much easier than the manual toothbrush. Just put it in your mouth and turn it on. It practically does the rest for you.
Anon;
It is tough being in manufacturing in this region. Especially since everything seems to be heading in the direction of service or healthcare. I doubt any of my complaining co-workers would much care to enter either of those fields.
And Mr McGinnis, while always wanting Respironics to be a place where you could enjoy doing your job, was also always quick to remind everyone that if they didn't like how things were being run, "there's a McDonalds just 2 miles down the road."
I sometimes get the feeling that the old "union mentality" still has it's deathgrip on this region. Everybody seems to think that they're supposed to be taken care of by somebody else - be it their employer, their union or worse yet, their government. Nobody wants to take responsibility for their choices. And that dissatisfaction with their lives leaves them complaining, even when they have a good job.
"vending wheel of death" I love that!

10:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It isnt the union metality in the Pgh region.... it is a societal problem in this country. People arent willing to accept responsibility for their actions. Everything is always someone else's fault.

11:20 PM  
Blogger M+ said...

Anon;
Exactly!
I just happen to know a lot of people in this area who seem to think that the unions could fix everything.

4:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License.