Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Freaked. Me. Out.

Ya know, for all the amazing things I've seen God do in my life, and the lives of those around me, you'd think I'd be used to Him pulling out some surprises every now and then. But I'm not.
I know that I have a very strong faith. I am firmly rooted in the scriptures. I've had some really intense spiritual encounters over the years. And I know that God has a great plan and an incredible purpose for my life. I know these things as well as I know my own name. Yet, every so often, I find myself struggling with the uncertainty of these things because of my own humanness. I occasionally find myself doubting these things because of what seem to be delays in God's timing for working His plans out for me. Still, every time I find myself doubting, God sees fit to remind me of the magnitude of what He has planned for me.
Tonight God chose to use P.Dave to remind me. The process began as I walked into church this evening. P.Dave wanted to talk to me about a few things that I can't discuss here, but we also talked about some things that I can share. One of which is his desire to get me more actively involved with some of the other congregations that he has contact with.
As I've mentioned once before, our church has a band named Splintered that I used to play bass for. Splintered is not a hugely successful band, but they do play shows regularly. Many of which are in churches, coffeehouses or small festivals. JT travels with the band in his multi-tasking functions of roadie, sound man, merchandising, and Slam-Poet. P.Dave would like me to become involved with Splintered again, too. But not as their bassist.
Instead, as P.Dave was discussing this with me, I had a major flash of lightning strike my brain. If Splintered were to sponsor a child through Compassion, I could travel to all of their shows with them as a Compassion Advocate - since that is what I am - and I could use Splintered's platform, and sponsorship, to address their audience for the sake of the millions of children who are living in poverty.
But it didn't stop there. So much more happened after the service as several of us sat around and discussed the direction that our Tuesday Evening Service is heading in. And afterwards we all prayed together.
Now, allow me to say that P.Dave does not come from a Charismatic background the way some of us in the congregation have. So he's a little leery of admitting that he has a bit of a prophetic gift. But it's clear to those of us who are from a Charismatic background that he does, indeed, have that gift. So when he expresses it, we know that the Spirit is moving.
Well, as we prayed at the end of the whole discussion, P.Dave went around the circle and prayed for each of us individually, pointing out our individual strengths and gifts. When he got to me what he prayed shook me to my very core. He prayed over me letting God, and everybody who was present, know that he recognized the power God has placed into me. And I know it was the Holy Spirit that was leading him to pray this way because he called me Michael, when he usually calls me Mike. These are the words he spoke over me;
"For Michael; I know that he is a dynamo just waiting to be used. There is so much power in him it's almost dangerous. And You've just been waiting to unleash him. You've given him the kind of power that makes us want to stand back so he can just use it. We're almost afraid to touch him, to hold him, because of how much power there is. But I think You've already lit the fuse, and it won't be long before You unleash him into the world with your power."
This is not the first time I've heard this. I've had others prophesy over me regarding the power God wants pour out through me. But I don't hold this to mean that I am any better or more special than anyone else. I've just made myself available for God to use me, and He has chosen His own way of doing that. Now I'll just wait and see what happens next.
And, as if that wasn't enough to encourage me to hold on to the promises I've been given, when all was said and done at church I headed off to my favorite chinese buffet - since I hadn't eaten since noon (and it was now past 8:30). And as I was sitting there finishing my meal a song comes across the radio. Now, mind you, this was not piped-in music, it was commercial radio, secular, easy-listening/adult contemporary, not Christian in any stretch of the word. But sure enough, one of my favorite worship songs plays on the radio.
I Can Only Imagine. (sing it with me if you know it)

I can only imagine… What it will be like
When I walk… By your side
I can only imagine… What my eyes will see
When your face… Is before me
I can only imagine

Surrounded by Your glory, what will my heart feel
Will I dance for you Jesus or in awe of you be still
Will I stand in your presence or to my knees will I fall
Will I sing hallelujah, will I be able to speak at all
I can only imagine

I can only imagine… When that day comes
And I find myself… Standing in the Son
I can only imagine… When all I will do
Is forever… Forever worship You
I can only imagine

Surrounded by Your glory, what will my heart feel
Will I dance for you Jesus or in awe of you be still
Will I stand in your presence or to my knees will I fall
Will I sing hallelujah, will I be able to speak at all
I can only imagine


I have no idea why this song would be playing on a secular radio station, except that it does have an adult contemporary sound. And yet, there it was. Like God was reminding me that He really is in control.
So I'm sitting here, freaked out by what God has done, past my self-imposed curfew, way past my bedtime, sharing what has happened tonight because I can't help wanting to testify.
Can I get an Amen?

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Jeff A said...

That is awesome. Plus the fact that I really love that song, I wish I could get the stations around here to play it.

1:28 AM  
Blogger One Wink at a Time said...

I love that kind of freaking out :-D
You da Man, Mike!

5:12 AM  
Blogger M+ said...

Jeff;
Isn't it an awesome song? I may have to listen for others on that station.

Wink;
I love this kind of freaking out, too. In a way, I wish it would happen more often. But if it did, I might not appreciate such experiences as much.
No, I'm not da Man. I'm da Servant!

5:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License.