Sunday, August 31, 2008

As if to stress my point

I haven't done this in awhile...
I think this article goes hand in hand with what I was getting at with yeserday's post. I hope you'll go read it for yourself and not simply take my word for it.
I really like Doug Giles take on all of it. His recounting of Jesus turning water into wine, however, is slightly off in it's facts - 6 jugs, not the 12 he mentions. And Jesus didn't refill the empties, he used the footwashing water jugs - otherwise, he really nails it. I also like how he reminds us that God instituted feasts and celebrations that included drinking. In fact, here's what my Bible says about it;
"Now when the Lord your God blesses you with a good harvest, the place of worship He chooses for His name to be honored might be too far for you to bring the tithe. If so, you may sell the tithe portion of your crops and herds, put the money in a pouch, and go to the place the Lord your God has chosen. When you arrive, you may use the money to buy any kind of food you want—cattle, sheep, goats, wine, or other alcoholic drink. Then feast there in the presence of the Lord your God and celebrate with your household. And do not neglect the Levites in your town, for they will receive no allotment of land among you." Deuteronomy 14:24-27 (emphasis mine.)
I think this is just another one of those areas where weak-willed, or weak-minded Christians have decideed that running away from a situation is better than standing firm. I understand that some people really do have a problem with alcohol, and I don't begrudge them when they act in wisdom to avoid putting themselves into a situation where they might be tempted to stumble. But I've actually heard sermons preached, and pastors have proclaimed from the pulpit, that they don't believe that Jesus actually turned water into wine, but something like wine - only better, more holy, or something Heavenly.
Please !!! It's not alcohol that is sinful, it's the abuse of alcohol that's sinful. As with anything else we might enjoy, it's not that we shouldn't be allowed to enjoy such things, but we should do so with a little bit of self-control. Now, if you happen to lack that self-control, then by all means, don't partake. But don't feel as if that gives you any holy imperative to tell me I'm not allowed to. I've got more scriptures to back up my side of this discussion than you do.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License.