Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Make yourself useful

God is sooooo good!
Even though I've gotten used to God doing amazing things in my life, and the lives of those around me, it still freaks me out when He does something really cool. I know I've mentioned being freaked out by God before, but this story is even better.
A few weeks back my supervisor, Bill, came out of his office and made a brief announcement that he was going to be leaving early and would be out of town for the rest of the week. The reason was an out of state family emergency. His father, who is 91 years old was in need of surgery, but the doctors feared that his age and other health issues would make things too complicated. So the family was more or less preparing for the worst, and Bill wanted to make sure to have his last goodbyes.
Everyone could tell that Bill was physically upset and choked up about the situation. Once he finished sharing with everyone what was happening, he headed back into his office. I could feel the Holy Spirit urging me to follow him in. So I did. And once I was inside I asked Bill if he wanted to pray. His reply was an immediate yes. So I prayed briefly for Bill and his family's peace and comfort at this time, and for Bill's father, as well as the doctors who would be operating. When we were done Bill was visibly calmer and was grateful that I took the moment to offer that to him.
The following week Bill was back in the office and I asked how the surgery went. He explained that it had to be postponed because of his father's heart. The anesthesiologist was worried that he might not survive the surgery, but the surgery was necessary, so the family decide that it should be done at the earliest convenience. That would be the next day, which was a Tuesday. So once again I offered prayers and Bill was happy to have them. And he asked if I would remember to say a little prayer on Tuesday at 12:00 since that was whent he operation was to take place. Of course, I agreed.
The next day Bill came in and told me that the surgery went well, his father made it through. I told Bill that as I was praying for his father the Holy Spirit had shown me a man laying on a table being operated on and an angel was standing beside him with his hand wrapped around the man's heart. Bill took great joy in hearing that. But there was also some bad news. The doctors found a lot of cancer inside of Bill's dad during the procedure. Still, at this point they were just happy that he made it through. Although there were complications and the doctors weren't sure how much longer he would live. So, being the prayer warrior that I am, offered to pray with Bill once again. And once again, Bill accepted.
When I finished he told me how much it meant to him that I was putting in the efforts and the good words with God. I told him "It's what I do, and I'm good at it." Bill of course acknowledged that to be true since my prayers had already proven beneficial. Then I told him that I would have my sisters at church pray also, since they too are prayer warriors. And I told Bill that "I'll go to war on this." - for his father's recovery.
Now, for some of you, the idea of praying as "going to war" may be an unusual concept. But I will remind everyone that we do have an enemy. There is a spiritual being who wants nothing more than to see our destruction. Jesus said that our enemy is a thief who has come to steal, kill and destroy. In the book of Daniel we are told that Daniel's prayers were answered on the first day he prayed, but that Gabriel was delayed with those answers by spiritual princes opposing him. So when I speak of "going to war" in prayer, it is because there are spiritual beings who are out to destroy us in any way possible. Even if that means slowing down the answers to those prayers. But there are prayers that one can pray that will prevent those spirits from acting against those we pray for.
This morning Bill came up to my work station and said "Let me see if I can tell you this without getting choked up." but it was already too late. When Bill spoke to me last about his father, the doctors had him on a ventilator and weren't sure how much longer he was going to last. This morning Bill told me that his father was at home resting peacefully eating Jell-o.
Praise God !!!
Bill began to thank me profusely for my prayers and for "going to war" for his father. He thanked me and God for my willingness to pray with him. And he was so excited by what had happened that he couldn't stop crying and thanking God. And even more than that he has truly acknowledged the power of prayer and God's overwhelming desire to do good things, even the miraculous, in our lives.

I do not share this because I believe there is anything special about me. I do not believe that my prayers are any more powerful than anyone elses. I only acknowledge that I have a calling in my life to pray, to be a warrior, to be a healer, to be a seer, and to simply be obedient to what the Holy Spirit tells me to do.
God will use us if we are willing to let Him. He wants to use us! It is His great desire to show us miracles by working through us. And all we have to do is make ourselves available to be used.
Over the last couple of years I have seen more and more of the miraculous taking place in my life, and in the lives of those around me. And I know it's not because I'm any less sinful than others who are not seeing such things. I know it's not because I'm any more Holy than those who are not experiencing such miracles. I know I have my own issues and my own faults and my own sins that I struggle with. But I know that God really doesn't care about those things as much as He cares that I make myself open to hear Him and willing to do what He asks.
So that's what I do. And look at the outcome. Who knows what God will use me for next? All I know is I'm ready.

Labels: , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger One Wink at a Time said...

Thanks for sharing this, you Warrior, you! :-D

12:33 PM  
Blogger M+ said...

Wink;
I live to serve! Always a pleasure to share such things with everyone.

10:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License.