Thursday, September 18, 2008

Sunset, sunrise and the full moon in between

You're probably wondering how/why I came up the above Quote. Keep reading...

Believe it or not, I actually thank God for the windstorm knocking out my power on Sunday night. Now, for those of you who lost your electricity for a day or longer, I am truly sorry, and I have no intentions of belittling your circumstance, but God really used my 2+ hour outage to bless me. But I'll come back to that in a few paragraphs.
Some of you may remember me posting about how much I've enjoyed watching the clouds over the last few weeks/months. Well, I'm still at it. And the clouds that I've been watching since I posted about it have been just as incredible. Allow me to share a little with you.
On Saturday evening, as I was at the laundromat, I got to watch the sunset. I was in absolute awe of the way the colors seemed to just flow from pinks to reds and even into violets. The clouds varied from pale yellows, with hints of rose, to vivid oranges with lines of gold. Some even held traces of the white that they had been only moments before, while they were drawing closer to the edge of dusk.
Now, while I realize that science can explain how these things happen, and why my eyes see it the way they do, I do not feel as if that makes such wonders any less miraculous. Especially when I consider that my circumstances throughout the day prevented me from being at the laundromat any earlier than I was - even though I had no desire to be spending my Saturday evening doing laundry - and yet, that is precisely where I was, at just the right time, to witness this beautiful artistry in the heavens.
Then came Sunday night. I was all set to watch the Steelers give a thorough trouncing to the Cleveland Browns. I had my munchies, I had the TV on, and I was just settling in when the power went off. I have to admit that I was bummed out at first. But after a few minutes I decided I'd make the best of things. I had already gathered a few candles and placed them strategically around the house so I could safely navigate my way around. Then I decided to go sit outside on my front porch to admire the storm.
For those of you who don't already know this about me, I love a good storm. Especially a good thunderstorm. I am a huge fan of thunder and lightning, and I was kinda hoping to see some with the storm outside. While there wasn't any thunder or lightning, there was something rather remarkable instead. The moon.
Though the moon was not quite full, almost though, it may as well have been. It hung in the darkness like a lantern. As the wind whipped around in the trees, the clouds were flowing through the sky like water. They would pass over the moon's face and take on that eerie back lit glow. At times, the clouds were no more than wisps of vapor, giving the moonlight an unsual haze, almost like a halo. At other times the clouds would stretch out like fingers reaching towards the light, only to engulf it momentarily in a shroud before moving on. I watched this happening for nearly two hours before the cloud cover became too thick to see the moon any longer. At that point I decided to turn in for the night and lo, and behold, power was restored. It was as if God arranged the whole event just for me. And don't think that it has been lost on me that had the power not been out, I would've missed all of this because of the Steeler game...
On to Monday morning. Sitting at my work-station, looking out my window, I was blessed once more to watch another sunrise. I was particularly intrigued by the way the sun was peering through the woods this morning. The clouds were moving in thin strips across the horizon, behind the trees, with just enough of a purple hue to make them seem like the night was lingering on, fighting for it's dear life. Meanwhile the reds, pinks and oranges were streaming across the sky like liquid fire. Amazing!
And these are all such simple things. There is so much wonder and beauty to behold, all around us, everyday. And to not acknowledge the glory of God in it just seems so senseless to me. To not be able to see it all as one grand adventure after another makes life seem so pointless. So that's why I can say what I said in the above Quote, with all the sincerity that I do. To me, every day simply is a glorious new adventure with God.

Labels: , , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Jeff A said...

Amen brother. I love me a good storm as well. I have been enjoying the sunsets as of late myself! Yes I know the scientific explanation for it, I also know the best reason for it. God wants me to slow down and enjoy my life a little more. I have been filling every moment of my life with some activity and not saving much time to "stop and smell the roses" so to speak.
So I am listening now the He has my attention. The Lord has been showing me some wonderous and awesome things!

9:35 PM  
Blogger One Wink at a Time said...

Believe it or not, I stayed outside for most of this storm. I'm getting so brave! And of course I took pictures. I'm starting to get a reputation in our hood... when the sky is awesome or a storm is brewing someone will comment on how soon I have my camera ready.
I have been enjoying all these same things and it's kind of cool that we've been looking up at probly the exact same time, seeing the exact same thing, given the proximity...
Yes, there have been wondrous sights to behold :-0

12:19 PM  
Blogger One Wink at a Time said...

Oops, that :-0 should have been a :-)

12:20 PM  
Blogger M+ said...

Jeff;
Isn't it amazing what we get to witness when we slow down and listen to what God has to tell us? I'm glad you're getting that message.
Wink;
I am not the least bit surprised to know you've been out in the weather. You've always enjoyed posting about your "porch time" with the moon and whatnot.
I'm sure that we have been enjoying the same skies. God has a way of working things out like that for the people I care about.
Ya know, the :-0 looks kinda like an awestruck "Ooooooooo...". I think it works just fine as a comment to this post

9:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License.