Monday, October 20, 2008

Taken by surprise

I would've posted about this yesterday, but I was otherwise preoccupied by the Steelers win over the Cincinatti "Bungles" - and some personal correspondences that deserved my full attention.

I had to officiate the service at church yesterday.
It seems that P.Dave was on vacation, and while JT had called me on Saturday night to inform me of this, he also told me that there would be a substitute. Since P.Dave's substitute was supposed to lead worship and give the sermon, I came in to the service with expectations of doing very little - no preparations. However, the substitute was a no-show, and that means that I had to take the reins.
But as you've all read, in previous posts, how God really watches out for me, yesterday was no different. We had a guitarist - someone who hasn't been to church in quite some time, and boy were we glad to see her. And not just because she's my guitarist, but because we all missed her. So we didn't have to do a sing-a-long for worship. And the Lord had already put a message in my heart all week long. Thus, I didn't have to search for anything at the last minute.
I spoke on John 14:12-14. It reads;

12 "I tell you the truth, anyone who believes in me will do the same works I have done, and even greater works, because I am going to be with the Father. 13 You can ask for anything in my name, and I will do it, so that the Son can bring glory to the Father. 14 Yes, ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it!"

Jesus wasn't lying, was He? Is the Church doing greater works?
We all agreed that as the Church, we are doing greater works. Jesus healed many who came to Him with their afflictions, but they had to come to wherever He was. And He fed thousands at a time, but only in the places where He was teaching. But the Church is healing people all over the world, everyday, by operating missions and hospitals and various aid organizations. The Church is also feeding the hungry through many of those organizations (Compassion International being my personal favorite), as well. But what about the rest of the passage?
Do we believe that we can ask anything in Jesus' name and He will give it to us?
Most of us don't really believe that anymore. And while we can easily dismiss the idea of praying for a Mercedes or a Ferrari, because the motive behind asking for those things is certainly not right, but what about the things we truly need, or the things that we deeply desire in our hearts? Do we really believe that Jesus wants us to ask for those things? Was He lying about this?
We've lost our faith in the miraculous. We no longer believe that God wants to do miracles for us, through us. We've allowed science to explain away the miracle that is the sunrise, the sunset, or the colors of the autumn leaves, and thus anything else that might be called a miracle. There's no struggle to getting the things we need to live. We simply go to the Super Wal-Mart - 24/7. And so we've lost our dependency on God to meet our needs. Our self-sufficiency has taught us how to be gods in our own little worlds. So we no longer ask, and we feel as if we're bothering God when we do. But He wants us to ask, and trust Him to do what we've asked. He wants us to depend on Him. He wants us to see His hand at work in our lives. He wants us to be able to glorify Him for the way He provides for us.

The conversation was good. Everybody had some input. Everybody enjoyed being a part of it. And that's what I was hoping for. Just to get everybody thinking, and maybe talking a little bit.
Not bad for the last minute...

Labels: , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Jeff A said...

Can you come and speak at my church? We could use a little excitement, someone to shake things up a bit!

12:43 PM  
Blogger M+ said...

Jeff;
I'll do my "The Gospel According to Jack Skellington" bit. Think that would do?

6:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License.