Monday, December 01, 2008

I'm glad you asked

I know some of you are probably wondering how my Holiday was. It was great!

I gotta tell ya, though, I'm just not feelin' it to do a really long post about the whole weekend. But I'll cover the most important stuff.

Mom and I had a great ride out. It was snowy here in southwest PA when we left, but it was just cloudy by the time we hit Ohio. Then it was pretty sunny once we got past Columbus. Made it to my aunt Kathleen's house a little bit before 5:00.

I got to spend a lot of my free time taking naps. My aunt doesn't have cable TV, or a computer, so there's usually nothing for me to do to keep myself occupied there - so I read a lot and take naps when we're not visiting with my mom's family.

Did get to visit most of mom's brother's and sisters. I take great comfort in knowing that my mom's side of the family is doing so well as they age. Mom's oldest brother is 87 and still pretty active. Her whole family is. So that gives me hope for a long and active life - as long as I take care of myself.

I got to enjoy two Thanksgiving dinners this weekend. The first one with my aunt Ginny's family on Thanksgiving. The second at aunt Kathleen's on Saturday. It was the only day that we could all get together.

I got to watch the Pitt/WVU game on Friday. Not something I was expecting to do, but it was cool.

Had many an interesting conversation with my aunts, uncles and cousins. Found out that it is most likely the farmers in the area that are keeping the economy going. Since they seem to be getting top-dollar for their crops/animals they have plenty of money to use for bigger barns, home remodeling, new equipment, etc... and that's keeping people busy in the area.
It was also refreshing to talk to people who realize that the economic woes that we're facing are not all about corporate greed, but the whole buy-now-pay-later mentality of our me-me-me-self-indulgent-instant-gratitification society. Most of my mom's family - aunts, uncles and cousins - live by the notion that if you can't afford to pay for it now, you don't really need it. Credit is only for emergencies.

On a less than happy note, I also found out that one of my uncles and one of my cousins have cancer. They are being treated and things are looking hopeful. But I'll still ask that all of you keep my family in your prayers.

The weekend was nice and sunny until it was time for mom and I to leave for home. It snowed overnight on Saturday and was kinda messy on Sunday morning. I had to drive really slow to keep mom from freaking out until we got onto I-70. By then the snow had turned to rain and things were much easier to deal with. We got back to mom's just in time to watch the Steeler's crush the New England Patriots. I got home from mom's sometime around 8:00 last night.

One last thing.
I got to see a few really good commercials for the Holiday season while I was watching the Pitt/WVU game. My favorite was for a department store called Meijer's (we don't have them in PA). Very funny.
Two ladies sitting in on a couch drinking coffee/tea and the one says "If he gets me those earrings, I will go to every game with him." Then the other one says "If he gets me the earrings with the matching pendant, I'll go ya one better." The screen goes white and the words "Be careful what you wish for. With our low prices, you just might get it." Cut back to the two ladies - not looking happy. Both in winter coats, snow falling around them, football fans cheering behind them, their husbands beside them screaming and cheering. The one lady has the earrings on. The other has earrings and pendant with her face painted blue and white. I had to laugh...

OK, that's all I have for now. I think I'll go take my last nap of the Holiday weekend.

Labels: , , , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Jeff A said...

Good thanksgiving here too! Ate too much fretted a bit, but for the most part, pretty good.

12:05 AM  
Blogger One Wink at a Time said...

If you ever find yourself as my house guest, don't even think of napping! ;-)
I will add your uncle and cousin to my prayer list.
Sounds like you had a good weekend, despite the weather on the way home.

5:35 PM  
Blogger M+ said...

Jeff,
Ya have to enjoy it whenever ya can.
Wink,
I only nap because anything else I try to do is considered "getting in the way". Besides, you have cable and internet access.

7:06 PM  
Blogger One Wink at a Time said...

You're going to laugh...
No cable at my house. But I would promise to be more entertaining at a fraction of the price ;-)
Hey, I'm running late here, promise to get caught up on your new posts over the weekend.

8:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License.