Saturday, December 06, 2008

Not quite what we had in mind

It's usually not a good thing when things don't go the way they're planned. But I'd have to say that tonight went pretty well even though nothing was as it was supposed to be. But I'm getting ahead of myself...
The morning was good. Those plans followed through without a hitch. I woke up early so I could get my laundry done, and then Bob and I went to see Punisher: War Zone. We had called JT, and Bob's friend Matt, to see if either of them wanted to join us. Unfortunately for them, neither of them could. So, Bob and I did the father-n-son thing.
It was a wonderfully, bloody and brutal movie. In fact, I'd have to say that even Bob and were a little surprised by some of the brutality. Everything we expected of this one and more. I'd like to say that it had a good story line, but it was all about the gunplay, death and destruction. And there was plenty of that to go around.
We came home and I called JT to see if he wanted to go to a concert tonight. It seems that I've recently added a band (Take the Name) to my Myspace friends list that had a show in Crafton tonight. And since JT and I are such vocal supporters of Indie Christian music, it seemed like we should go to see these guys - and the three other bands that were going to be playing. JT agreed, and Bob also decided to join us since his buddy Matt wasn't able to do anything tonight.
We left sometime around 5:00 because the snow was coming down and things were bound to get a little tricky on the roads. We had no idea how tricky. At first, I made turn that I don't usually take to get to the Parkway - thinking the other road might be too icy - only to discover that we ran smack dab into a whole mess of traffic. It took us about 20 minutes to get to where we should've been in 5 minutes. First clue that things were not going to work out according to plan.
Next, we get on the Parkway - and JT had already called P.Dave to see if he had heard anything about lane closures into town. P.Dave said he didn't know of any. So we get so far along before running into the traffic that wasn't supposed to be there. And again, we spent about 20-25 minutes going a distance that should've taken less than 5 minutes to travel. So we quickly decided to get off of the Parkway at the next exit and take another route.
I knew the way we were going and I've never really considered any of the roads we would be on to be "back-roads", but they were pretty slick. Slick enough that at one point while we were heading into downtown Pittsburgh I had trouble stopping. It's a good thing that guy in the Grand Am was in front of me to stop me from just sliding into the truck in front of him...
Yeah, that's right folks. I bumped into the car in front of me.
Now, please don't panic. Everybody is OK. There was no damage to either vehicle, or any passengers. And after we had stopped to make sure of that, I climbed back into the car to hear Bob and JT chuckling about it. Or, actually, Bob suggested that when the other driver saw me get out of my car, he wouldn't have said anything negative to me anyways since, as Bob put it, I "looked kinda intimidating getting out of the car."
So onward we proceeded to the show. We arrived at the church sometime around 6:40. The doors were supposed to open at 6:00 and I figured the shows would start around 7:00. Good timing, I thought. We heard music as we approached the doors, but found a note on the outside explaining that the concert had been cancelled and would be rescheduled. But the three of us had braved the elements to be here, so we went inside to see just what was going on.
What we discovered was that only one of the bands had shown up. The snow had pretty much kept the other bands from making it. But some of the people who showed up were still playing music and having a time of fellowship. So we joined them.
Instead of the concert what we did was spend time talking to people, making connections, pimping JT's podcast, and just enjoying the evening out. It was all pretty good, even if it wasn't what we had in mind. And when it was all over with we decided that the night was still young enough for us to find something else to do. We opted for Hooters.
We had wings, talked, watched football, teased our waitress and just had some generally good clean fun. And when we were done we took JT home and Bob and I got home to spend some time having a really good heart-to-heart about things that neither of us expected to come up tonight. It was great! But I'm not goingto share any of that with you since it's kinda personal.
Isn't it amazing how things can go so wrong, and yet work out so right?

Labels: , , , , , , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger One Wink at a Time said...

Yep, sometimes the good stuff comes when you least expect it. And I think that makes you appreciate it even more...
We'd gone to my mom's in the afternoon to put her tree up for her and found the roads to be rilly icy when we left to come home. Took us about 3 x longer to get home.
Glad you got where you had to be without too much trouble and no injuries!

1:39 AM  
Blogger M+ said...

It is amazing how things work out, isn't it?

4:47 PM  
Anonymous faith said...

You're story of the cars made me think of one with my dad...He's a big guy - 6'4" and like upper 270s at the time it happened I guess. Anyways, we were at the post office, and he was backing up to pull out of a parking spot, and Smack, right into the car behind us. A little guy, probably my size (5'7", with little weight) got out cussing "you need to watch what you're doing...blah blah blah) all yelling and what not..until dad stepped out of the car. The guy backed up as fast as he could and probably looked like a deer in headlights. He pretty much shut up after that. My dad apologized and checked the damage (there was none), and we left. But it was hysterical to see that.

9:12 AM  
Blogger M+ said...

Faith,
I love that story! makes me wonder what kinda car your dad was driving. I have my Hyundai, which almost makes it look like I'm climbing out of a clown car...

4:59 PM  
Anonymous faith said...

It was a little Honda Civic at the time. He looks pretty much the same way getting out of it. A guy I work with use to say "What's he do, take the seat out to fit in there" lol

11:58 AM  
Blogger M+ said...

Faith,
Yep. A clown car.
Very few people can actually sit behind me. Most of them are small children.

1:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License.