Sunday, March 22, 2009

Promises to keep

I did something last night that was somewhat out of the ordinary for me. I went to a prophetic conference with one of my Sisters from church.

While all of you know that I am a deeply spiritual person, and I do write quite often - and very openly - about my own spiritual experiences, I do not usually attend such events. I admit that, at times, I find them to be a bit overwrought in their spirituality. Even I am somewhat frightened by the implications of what might happen if God were to really make His presence known...
But I went. And I enjoyed.
It was very much what I expected it to be, and very much unlike what I expected it to be. The worship music was not actually singing so much as music being played while people praised God with their own words and expressions of joy. Some people danced, others waved banners, some simply stood with raised hands.
The main speaker of the evening was a man named James Goll, who has written many books on the prophetic gifts of the Holy Spirit. And his message to us was one of promises and purpose...
Sound familiar?
These are messages I've been hearing for almost three years now. I know I've posted about them often. Often enough that I'm not even going to bother to link to any. But I'm sure many of you know that I see my work with Compassion as one of my many purposes.
Anyways...
He spoke of God's faithfulness to fulfill His promises. God makes promises and He keeps them, even when we don't see them happening in a time frame that we would like them to happen in. He spoke of the promises that were made to Abraham, that his descendants would be as numerous as the stars. And reminded us that such a promise was not something that Abraham could do on his own. He had to trust God for it. But James also told us that such a promise contained so much purpose that it could never be completely fulfilled in one lifetime. So it was up to Abraham to simply do what he could and then allow others to carry on.
I think that's something that I really needed to remember. I am standing on promises that God has revealed to me. I expect Him to fulfill those promises because He is faithful - no matter what. But I also must keep in mind that whatever it is that God has for me to do, it will happen when He wants it to happen. And I will not reach the end of it in my lifetime. In fact, I expect that God wants whatever ministry that I begin to be carried on by someone else after I've gone. And I take comfort in knowing that my ministry, my work, my efforts will be a foundation for someone else's ministry.
Isn't God sooooo cool that way?

Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License.