Friday, March 13, 2009

This is awesome !!!

As you all know by now I am a huge fan of words. I love words. Especially unusual words or exceptionally long words or even smaller words that have a really cool definition.
I'm also sure you're all aware that the word "Triskaidekaphobia" is one of my favorites. It ranks right up there with "Onomatopeia", "Antidisestablishmentarianism" and "Gargantuan" (for those of you who are fans of Kill Bill). In fact, I enjoy it so much that I have a tradition of using that word in a post on any Friday the 13th that happens to roll around - like today. And that's why I'm sure you're all aware of how much I love it.
But today, joy of all joys, I have discovered two new words to start using every Friday the 13th. Why? Because they are the actual words that mean "a fear of Friday the 13th". Are you ready for them?

"Paraskavedekatriaphobia" and "Friggatriskaidekaphobia"

Now, I admit that I've always known that "Triskaidekaphobia" was just a fear of the number 13. But I hadn't heard any other words to make it a fear of Friday the 13th. Well, now I have, and I'm quite the happy camper. Though I'm having a hard time figuring out what exactly makes "Paraskavedekatriaphobia". I can see the "dekatria" thing, which is more than likely 13. But where do we get Friday in the remaining mess? I get "Friggatriskaidekaphobia". Frigga, the norse goddess whom Friday is named for, followed by "Triskaidekaphobia". Simple enough.

OK, this concludes our lesson on weird words that nobody else cares about. Maybe now I'll go look for their Klingon equivalents...

Yeah, I'm a geek!

Labels: , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger One Wink at a Time said...

Learning is GOOD. I had to look up "Worm Moon" the other night.
I always wished I'd studied Latin instead of the years I spent learning (and forgetting much of) the Russian language. I love breaking big words down to try and decipher meanings. I also love making them up! I used to have the definition of "existentialism" memorized because I thought it was such a cool definition/word. I would need shock therapy, I think, to remember it now.

8:12 PM  
Blogger M+ said...

Wink,
I didn't know there was such a thing as a "Worm Moon".
Latin is always a great choice since so many of our words are Latin derivatives. But Greek is another good choice. Spanish even more so since there are so many Spanish speaking people everywhere. But I must admit, your knowledge of Russian will probably take you much furhter in life than my Klingon.
Words are always a lot of fun to work with. I like knowing where they came from. I like learning about commonly used phrases and where they come from. It's always so intriguing to find these things out.
I used to have a lot of definitons memorized. But now that I don't have any teachers giving me tests on them, I pretty much just kinda "know" what they mean - without having the full-blown definitions.

8:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License.