Thursday, April 16, 2009

I feel like I should say something

I've been looking at my blog, reading through some of my older posts and archives, and I realize how different my blog is nowadays.
For one, I have been trying to avoid political rants. I just can't bring myself to spend so much time getting worked up about things that I won't change by ranting about them here. I'll do what I can when I go to the ballot box, but other than that I have come to realize that I'm not going to change anybody's mind about the issues. And if someone already agrees with me, then I'm just getting them worked up too. And I just don't find that to be a very constructive use of my time.
I also write much less about the goings on at work. In part, because my current co-workers don't stimulate the "weirdness" out of me that some of my former co-workers used to. That may be a good thing, or not.
I have noticed a huge difference in the amount of entertainment I'm able to enjoy. I suppose not having to worry about what my Ex wants to do - or spend my money on - has left me with significantly more disposable income to work with for my own personal enjoyment. I've also managed to stretch it far enough to have a lot of fun with Bob over the last couple of years, too. And I've got the pics to prove it, too. Something else that wasn't so prevelant in my earlier blogging.
But I think the biggest difference I can see is in my faith. When I started writing my blog I was still recovering from a somewhat toxic faith. What I mean by that is simply that my faith was based upon the rules & regulations and traditions of organized religion, not completely on the grace of Christ. And God was just starting to break me out of that when I started blogging.
Now, while I believe that having the rules and the traditions are important for passing on our faith to others, at some point those things can take the place of God's love and mercy. Not to mention that they can displace the work of the Holy Spirit. And that can lead us to a self-righteous inactivity and apathy.
Somewhere along the way, I came to realize that being a good Christian isn't about being obedient to the rules, but being obedient to the Holy Spirit. We can tell ourselves that we're being obedient to God when we follow the rules that we've been taught, but what do we call it when we casually ignore the urging of the Holy Spirit to do the things Jesus would have us do? After all, being a Christian means being Christ in the world. And that's the direction I'm heading in these days.
I see more action in my faith these days. I'm not just trying to keep the rules so I can say I'm a "good" person. I'm doing the kinds of things that other people can look at and say "Hey, that's a good thing you're doing." I'm not just going to church, I'm involved with my church, helping it to become something that church should be. And, of course, I'm seriously involved with Compassion International in the hopes of changing the world for children living in poverty around the world. And I think these are the kinds of things Jesus would be doing.

Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License.