Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Strange but true

I have to admit, the last few days have been kinda fun for me. Allow me to share a few of the incidents that have put a smile on my face, and sometimes on those of the people around me.

Monday afternoon I had a class at work to discuss some upcoming projects that my work-group will be taking part in. Several of my co-workers were there with me, as well as my supervisors manager.
The instructor introduced herself and shared a brief synopsis of the class. Then she asked all of us to introduce ourselves since she has seen all of us at some time or another, and she wanted to be able to put names to faces.
I was asked to go first. So I introduced myself as Michael Cross. So she called me Mike, but paused for a second to ask whether I preferred Mike or Michael. To which I replied that I do prefer Michael (which I do).
At that point there was a collective "Oh, really?" moment from all of my co-workers. Since none of them ever asked me which I prefer to be called, they've all simply called me Mike. Then my supervisors manager said "Meanwhile, for the last three years I've been calling you Mike, and you never said anything!"
So I responded with "You never asked, and I'm not gonna be the pretentious jerk who tells you "My name is Michael, not Mike."."
But I made sure to tell everyone that whatever they call me is fine since they never asked, and that's what they're used to.
But it was even better when the introductions came around to one of my co-workers who said that since the instructor was asking what we preferred to be called, he was to be addressed as King Ed...
See what I started!

Tuesday evening I decided to make grilled cheese sandwiches and tomato soup for the Tuesday Evening Family Service. As I was preparing the sandwiches JT noticed soemthing unusual about the wrappers. After glancing over the ingredients he asked me if I had noticed that the "singles" I had purchased don't mention being cheese...
Huh?
That's right folks! The generic "sandwich slices" that I had picked up cannot be legally called "cheese". So, we didn't really have "grilled cheese and tomato soup" last night. Instead, we had grilled sandwich slices and tomato soup. And to be completely honest, they still weren't that bad.
I got to share that story with my co-worlers today when they asked me what I had for lunch.
"Well, I can't, legally, call it grilled cheese..."

OK, that's about it for now.

Labels: , , , , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous faith said...

I work with a pretentious jerk so you call it... he does the whole "my name is...not..." thing. Some people are so full of themselves. I understand liking being called one thing..but you don't have to be rude about it :) Thanks for not being so, and I will remember to call you Michael from now on :)

9:57 AM  
Blogger One Wink at a Time said...

So often I've seen words like "processed cheese product" or something like that... People are pretty much sheep in that they rarely question what they put into their bodies.
(I can't afford to say too much here, being a smoker. D'oh)
I used to be a heavy cappuccino drinker until I realized that I had no idea what I was drinking. For that reason AND that I gained 13 pounds in three months on the stuff...

7:43 AM  
Blogger M+ said...

Faith,
That's why I'm not so vehement about being called Michael.
I do always introduce myself to people as Michael, but if they don't take the hint - or ask me if that's what I prefer - I'm not gonna make a big deal out of it. Besides, I know alot of it has to do with the spelling. Most people don't know of it's "-ael" or "-eal". So they take the safe route and spell Mike. And then that's what everyone ends up calling you.

Wink,
The word "cheese" never appears on the wrapping. So, it's not even a "processed cheese product". It's just what it is. And what that is, is never identified...
People are sheep about a lot of things. But I don't want to start a political rant now.
I used to drink Mt Dew more than anything else. When I stopped, in favor of Coke Zero, or Diet Wild Cherry Pepsi, I lost close to 10 pounds in about two - two and a half weeks.

3:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License.