Sunday, July 26, 2009

Family festivities

Yesterday we celebrated Bob's graduation by throwing him a little party.
Now, his mother had a party for him while I was away at Creation, but she had that party closer to her home. So I decided to have one for him closer my home, so all of his friends from around here could show up. And they did.
Below you'll see several of them. From left to right we have Judah, Matt, Corey, Andrea and finally Bob.



Perhaps you'll remember Judah and Andrea from my earlier post about visiting them and their preemie baby, Jack, in the hospital on the 4th?
This is the group that is usually hanging out together at the house. Or, if they're not at the house, all I need do is call one of them and I'll be able to talk to Bob.

The party went well. Exceptionally well! And I say that because it wasn't the most well planned out activity that I've engaged in lately. I just kinda threw it together with a little help from my Ex's family.
You see, despite the fact that I'm no longer part of the family in the "classic" sense - the divorce meaning I'm no longer married into the family - they still view me as a part of the family because of the kids. And truth be told, I would still always be invited to family events with them if it weren't for the fact that the Ex doesn't like it. I make her baby's daddy nervous and uneasy.
Anyways, I owe a great deal of thanks to my mother-in-law and my sister-in-law for their help, and not just for bringing food. My mother-in-law because the party was held in the recreation room at her apartment building. I wouldn't have been able to get it otherwise. My sister-in-law for helping to organize all of it so quickly. And lest I forget my own mother for the wonderful deserts she brought. All I had to take care of was the chicken, the pop (soda to some of you) and the munchies.
Ya know, now that I think of it, with the exception of my brother-in-law, who currently lives in Texas, the only memeber of the Ex's family who wasn't there was the Ex...
I had a few family friends show up. Of course, JT would never miss something like this. And there were a few people from church who made it, too. So all was well in the world.
I probably don't have to mention that Aliesha and CJ were there. But I do have to mention that I offered to babysit CJ over night for the first time. So, when the party was over and the clean-up was done, he came home with me and Bob and 3 of his friends - yeah, it was fun squeezing everyone into my little Hyundai Elantra with the car-seat and the rest of the stuff from the party...

So here we are, me and CJ, enjoying the weather outside.

He is such a good baby!

And you had to know I'd have some video to go with it...

video

He just loved my Punisher T-shirt. Couldn't stop looking at it.
We spent a lot of time outside where it was a bit cooler since the house had been closed up all day. And CJ just looked around at everything, taking it all in, absorbing all of the sights and sounds.
Eventually, after it became dark, CJ began to fuss. He actually cried for the first time that I've seen, because of how tired he was. So I rolled out his blanket, laid him down on it, gave him his pacifier and out he went. I slept on the couch.
He woud've slept through the night, but Bob rolled in somewhere around 3:30 AM - he's now working at Miracle Lanes and they have the Cosmic Bowling thing going on from midnight to 3:00, so that's his shift - and the noise woke CJ up. So we stayed up for about an hour and a half before falling back to sleep.
I've come to realize that the "parental conditioning" never goes away. All through the night I would wake up if CJ would make a the slightest noise. It was weird, but it was so cool. At one point I woke up to look down at him only to see his sleepy little eys looking back up at me. I rub his head for a few seconds and he went right back to sleep.
In the morning I woke up to him giggling. We went outside for a breath of fresh air before I made him his bottle. After I fed him, Craig came to pick him up so I could get ready for church. And that's how the festivities ended.

All family activities should be so enjoyable!

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger One Wink at a Time said...

Great post. That was so cool of you to have a party for Bob.
I too, have kept close ties to the ex-family and I'm so glad.
My goodness CJ is getting so big! And he looks like you. I love the pride and adoration on your face when you look at him.
Yep, family is just about as important as it gets and you and I are both very lucky in that department.

7:44 PM  
Blogger M+ said...

Wink,
I had to do something for Bob. He's such a good kid with such good friends. In wanted them to be able to celebrate together.
CJ is getting big. He's so much fun to have around. And yes, I do have much pride and adoration for him.
Yes, we are truly blessed to have our families.

5:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License.