Sunday, August 09, 2009

Strangers

It's funny that P.Dave's sermon today reflected something that I've been rolling around in my own prayer time lately. The idea of caring for strangers and transients. Because I seem to have stumbled upon a ministry of caring for people who have no place to go. Transients, as it were.
I know I talked about taking one of Bob's friends, Judah, until he and Andrea are ready to get an apartment of their own. But that has, oddly enough, fallen through. It looks like Andrea's parents have taken him in until that time. I'm merely allowing him to keep his furniture in the gameroom until they're ready for it. And now that their situation has changed, I discover that another one of Bob's friends may need similar assistance. So, once again, I have opened my doors, and the gameroom downstairs, as a place of refuge.
This is especially interesting since I've been pointing to the parable of the sheep and the goats (Matthew 25:31-46) to many of the people I have conversations with in regard to what Jesus expects His followeres to do. And for so long I've told people that I don't know if we're expected to do all of the things that Jesus speaks of - taking care of the hungry, the thirsty, the strangers, the naked, the sick, the prisoners - but we ought to do what we can. But it seems like God always expects a little more of us, each time an opportunity arises.
The reason why I say this is because I see where all of my efforts seem to grow into something more, something bigger, than what my original intentions may have been. And by that I mean that I have started to do a lot of things in an attempt to just do what I know to be right for me as a Christian, and then I get involved in more. For example, I signed up to be a Compassion sponsor, I never suspected I would also become a volunteer advocate. When I agreed to be a part of the worship team at church, I didn't know I'd also (eventually) be playing my bass in a band. And when I first offered my gameroom to a friend who needed a place to stay, I never thought it would become an ongoing ministry to others. Isn't it cool how God does sort of stuff to us?
I see now that what Jesus was speaking of wasn't really a pick-and-choose calling. It isn't just feeding the hungry or clothing the naked or welcoming the stranger. It's about doing as much as one possibly can to meet all of the needs of the people that God brings to us. So, now I have to wonder what's next for me?

Labels: , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License.