Saturday, August 22, 2009

What you've been missing

Actually, it'd be a better description to say "What I haven't been sharing"

It's been a fairly busy week. And I shold've posted about it sooner, but as I said, it's been a fairly busy week.

Things started on Monday evening with Chocolate Sundae Jesus' first concert.



It was supposed to be for the National Night Out, but Monroeville had ours on August 4th. So I have no idea what was going on. Either way, since Dave is so active in the community, and he's involved with the Mon Valley Initiative, the organizers ask him if he could provide the entertainment. And that was us.



It was a 5 song set. No big deal. But we had fun, and the kids seemed to be OK with it. It was the activity that followed that had us a bit irked.
Apparently you can't mix words like "zen" and "Christian" without speaking horrific blasphemy...
Prior to our set, there was a lady at the event who approached Julian (our drummer) and his wife Chrissy who had their darling daughter Satori with them. When asked about Satori's name, Julian explained that it's a buddhist word that means "the place where enlightenment occurs". So the woman immediately began to "witness" to them about Jesus and tell them that Buddhism is a false religion, blah, blah, blah...
To which Julian tried to explain that he is a "zen Christian", because he doesn't quite like the term "Christian" because of what people have begun to associate with Christianity - as an organized religion.
Now, the term "zen Christian" is one that was coined by JT in regard to how he applies Christ's teachings to his own life. And you can read about that here.
Well, when it came time for us to play, the conversation broke off, and we thought things were done with. But they weren't. Instead, after the show, this lady brought a man to us to ask us about the whole "zen Christian" thing. And no matter what JT, Julian and even P.Dave said, no matter how much scripture they applied to this particular idea, the guy just couldn't get past the word "zen". So we must not really be Christians.
I guess it's a good thing I didn't tell him I consider myself to be a "pagan Christian"...
I'm not about to explain it now. Maybe I will some other time.

But it wasn't the actual conversation that troubled us. It wasn't even the fact that the guy seems to think we're all going to Hell for using the word "zen" with "Christian". It's the fact that there were well over a dozen kids who wanted to talk to us about who-knows-what, and we couldn't because this self-righteous pharisee wouldn't stop arguing long enough to let us really be about our minstry.
However, from my perspective, anytime you try to do something that will affect change, you'll find opposition. And even more so if it's really what God wants you to do, because the enemy doesn't want you to succeed.
In any event, we all went out to dinner afterwards and tried to get past the whole thing. I think we did OK.

Tuesday was laundry day for me. Since I was at Purple Door on Saturday, I didn't get to do it then. And then with the concert on Monday, I couldn't do it then. And since I was running out of clean socks and underwear, i had to blow-off church to get some done.
Also on Tuesday, P.Dave announced at church that there was no longer going to be a Tuesday Evening Family Service. For those of us who contribute to it - as in offer our leadership and trying to make it into more than just another church service - it was getting to be a bit too much of a drain. It was also becoming a mis-use of our resources in that respect. So P.Dave decided to end it before it became a real drain on all of us.
Wednesday I did my grocery shopping. And just in time. I was getting down to canned tuna and mac-n-cheese. While I can make a great meal out of that, I need something better.
Thursday was a great day. Guess who came over for a visit...



Aliesha brought the little guy over since I hadn't seen him in a couple of weeks.



He is getting so big!
Aliesha had to meet with her mom, and my house is a bit easier for the Ex to get to than fighting the traffic to get to Pitcairn where Aliesha is. So that's where they met.
While we waited, I had fun with CJ. He fussed a little but we fixed it by turning the fan on right in front of him. He loved it. Then we went outside and he watched the cars going up and down my street. He's gonna be a NASCAR fan...

Friday, Bob came home from his mother's.
Oh, that's right. I didn't mention that Bob went to his mother's on Sunday. So he spent a week visiting with his mother and his little brother, Sammy. He came home so we got caught up on what's going on. Its' weird how much we missed each other. So we hung out together for awhile, before his friends called and he went out running.

Today, I have a graduation party to go to. It's for JT's son Rob. And then tonight I get to babysit CJ. I'm keeping him overnight again and taking him to church with me tomorrow. This should be interesting...

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Faith said...

It's people like that guy who give Christians a bad name, and it's because of people like him that I don't even like to call myself a christian. (Well, sorta... I prefer the term "follower of Christ," because that's what it is- a relationship, not a religion.) But I really like the "zen Christian" thing. It's kinda cool, and a great way to reach out to people, since it appears to be an oxymoron.

2:09 PM  
Blogger Jeff A said...

I have a book called "I'm fine with God, it's Christians I can't stand" Really interesting book. I run into people like that occasionally. I usually don't even argue with them anymore. I just call them a Pharisee or hypocrite and move on.

Love the band name by the way!

9:13 AM  
Anonymous Faithy said...

I'm not going to comment on the post other than your Grandson is absolutely adorable, as always. And I see now have to post as something else ( so you don't get the Faith's confused - I haven't met too many other Faith's so that's nice! )...when you see Faithy, you know it's me :D

9:33 AM  
Blogger M+ said...

First, to all who commented about the "pharisee".
I must clarify something for all of you that was only clarified to me yesterday.
The overall situation was not entirely the "pharisee's" fault. A substantial portion of the blame rests squarely on the shoulders of our drummer, Julian. He's fairly new to the faith and only because he has had such bad experiences with so many Christians himself at other times. Especially with his own father. So he has a bit of a chip on his shoulder.
By the same token, when he uses the term "zen Christian" he uses it because he likes the way it sounds. But he doesn't have a complete grasp of it the way JT does. So the more Julian tried to explain what it means, the less sense he was actually making.
In the end, JT did get the guy to see where he and Julian were coming from. And while he still had issues with it, he wasn't so condemning.

Faith,
I know so many people who prefer "Christ follower" (or some variation of it) because of what Christianity (as an organized religion) has done to the name. Christians are known better for the things we "hate" than for being a people of love - as Christ commanded us to be.
But I myself still hold to being called a Christian because I want to change that image. Most of the people who know me know that I'm a Christian. But none of them have a negative impression of me because I do my best to be a great example of Christ. And even when I fail, they get it, because they don't see me trying to force my beliefs or my morality down their throats. I'm just walking my path and sharing my faith as I have opportunity. And they are much more open to that.

Jeff,
The band name...
It's been a point of contention for me from the get-go, and it's all JT's fault. He said it as a joke. But, since P.Dave has no solid grasp on comedy, he took it serious. He then told Julian, who is just a little weird, and he liked it too. By the time I was told what the name of the band was I had no choice in it. And if I didn't love JT so much, I'd have killed him for doing something that he had to know would end up this way.
And even worse, even after I submitted to the vote and my pastor's authority, I was ready to hurt someone. Apparently P.Dave can't spell any better than he can grasp a joke because he kept spelling it Chocolate Sunday Jesus. And if I didn't love him so much, I'd have killed him, too...

Faithy,
I always know when it's you. Your name doesn't link back to a blog anymore...
CJ is just awesome! He's starting to get his teeth already.

6:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License.