Saturday, October 31, 2009

I love Halloween and so should you!

Happy Halloween everybody!
I just wanted to say that because I know several people who won't have anything to do with Halloween because of it's pagan, wiccan and satanic orgins. I feel sorry for them.
Yes, I realize that this is a high holy day for individuals who practice the pagan, wiccan or satanic religions. And there will be worship of "false gods" being done tonight. And it will happen all over the world. But I have to wonder why that should stop any of us from dressing up in a costume and going out to have some fun? Or why should we prevent our kids from getting dressed up and going trick-or-treating? How do these things contribute to the worship of the devil?

I have a few points that I'd like to make about this foolishness.
First, I don't understand how some of the various symbols of Halloween can be considered evil in and of themselves. Is a black cat really evil? Or what about a full moon being viewed through the bare trees? How about bats or wolves or any of the natural creatures that are associated with Halloween? How can we call them evil? How can people associate them with devil worship? Don't these people realize that they're acting in rebellion to the Word of God by implying such things?
Oh, yes, I did say that!
The voice spoke to him a second time, "Do not call anything impure that God has made clean." (Acts 10:15)
Peter had a vision of a sheet full of animals being lowered out of Heaven and God told him to eat them. But Peter refused because they were considered to be "impure" by the Jewish laws and traditions. But if Christ redeemed all of creation by His death and resurrection, then every animal that God has created is now "clean". And that was indicated to Peter by the vision he had.
So, for anyone to consider black cats, bats or wolves to be "evil" because of their association with Halloween, they're rebelling against God's word.
If anything, such people are actually giving glory to the devil by attributing some sphere of influence to him that does not belong to him. And it steals glory from God by diminishing His redemptive work.

My other point is even more pressing.
We all know that Halloween has it's origins in pagan, wiccan and satanic religious practices and some people refuse to celebrate because of that.
Really? And how many people understand that Christmas also has it's roots in the pagan, wiccan and satanic religions? There is absolutely no scriptural reason for celebrating the birth of Christ. Especially not in December. This is all just a sanitized expression of pagan culture. But it's OK because we like this pagan high holy day. All we did was change the name.
Christmas trees, evergreen wreaths and stringing up lights (candles originally) were all ways in which the pagan and wiccan celebrants of the winter solstice expressed their faith. And now we've "christianized" them and pretend that makes Christmas OK to celebrate, while Halloween is off limits.
What monumental hypocrisy!

I've ranted enough about this. But I want to close on one last thought.

"4) So then, about eating food sacrificed to idols: We know that an idol is nothing at all in the world and that there is no God but one. 5) For even if there are so-called gods, whether in heaven or on earth (as indeed there are many "gods" and many "lords"), 6) yet for us there is but one God, the Father, from whom all things came and for whom we live; and there is but one Lord, Jesus Christ, through whom all things came and through whom we live."

If Paul can recognize that the so-called gods of the pagan religions are not really gods at all, then why can't these others see that?
I don't mind if they choose not to take part in Halloween celebrations. But I think it's horribly wrong of them to condemn anyone else for doing so. People ought to live according to their own conscience. Isn't that what Paul is really trying to tell us in his passage?

OK, I have to put my Punisher T-shirt on for the Harvest Party at church tonight - it's a Halloween Party, but some of our members don't like to celebrate Halloween...

Labels: , , , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger One Wink at a Time said...

This sentiment holds true in so many areas of Life. If everyone would just respect everyone else's right to practice WHATEVER, the world would be a much nicer place.

10:23 PM  
Blogger M+ said...

Amen !!!

3:14 PM  
Anonymous Jeff A said...

Yeah, what you said. Our church has a "wild west fun night" instead of a halloween party. While I have tried to point out the oddity of this practice, you know, "a rose by any other name". But they still don't get it. Oh well, I am comfortable in my faith that when it is my time, I won't be turned away from the gates because I dressed up as batman.

8:30 AM  
Blogger M+ said...

Jeff,
You go Batman! As for Me? I'm sure there will be other Klingons in the kingdom to come...

3:34 PM  
Blogger Faith said...

I am late, but am so glad to see this posted! First, I wanted you to know we got married on Halloween (I'm posting pictures this weekend so I will send you the link)! And we had people dress up *Gasp* We have a nephew who is 17 and he wanted to bring his gf with him to the wedding, but her parents wouldn't let her because of the whole Halloween and pagan holiday along with sacrifices and crap. I was SO mad. They're scary religious and take every thing to extreme. I felt bad for our nephew though because of it. I just don't get some people!

9:48 AM  
Anonymous Faithy said...

the above comment is me, your old time reader Faith..but I'm sure you got that ;) Lol

9:49 AM  
Blogger M+ said...

Faithy,
I can't tell you how happy I am for you two. Congratulatons!
I'm sure the day was wonderful.
About your nephew, maybe he needs to talk to his girlfriend's parents about whether or not they put up a Christmas tree. If they do he can tell them that they're just as pagan as anything having to do with Halloween. Oh, I could go on about this, but it'll just get you even more fired up.

I knew it was you. I may be crazy, but I'm not stupid...

10:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License.