Tuesday, December 01, 2009

While I was away

I don't have a great deal to share about my visit to Ft. Recovery over Thanksgiving, but I do have a few things to write about. However, I do have a lot of pictures that reflect my joyous holiday spirit. I'll get to those shortly.

Our adventure began Tuesday morning with breakfast at Denny's. Mom and I enjoyed it the last time we did one of these trips, so we thought we'd try it again. Only this time we had a couple of additional guests with us. Bob came along since we didn't do our traditional Sunday dinner with Mom this week - we didn't want her to have to fuss over dinner on Sunday with us leaving on Tuesday. We were also joined by Paula since she didn't have to leave for work until after noon.

Now, just so everyone knows, this was not the first meeting between Mom and Paula. Paula, with two of her sons, had accompanied Bob and I to one of Mom's Sunday night dinners two weeks earlier. And I was overjoyed by how well they got along. This is always a good sign.

Anyways, Mom and I managed to get on the road shortly after 12:00. And we arrived at my Aunt Kathleen's shortly after 6:00.
It was really nice driving through some of the small communities that lie on the last leg of the ride. Several of them had their Christmas decorations up and it gave us such a sense of warmth along our way. There was a rather homey sense of comfort that came over me as I admired it all. And it only got better when we arrived in Ft. Recovery to see their decorations, as well.

I suppose I could say that my days were spent in much the same way they always are in Ft. Recovery. I woke in the morning to eat breakfast, took a walk around town to see if anything had changed - and nothing does, then back to Aunt Kathleen's for a nap before eating again, walking again, and napping again. Of course there was also time spent reading and praying, and there were visits from family throughout the weekend. But the most profound difference between this trip and any others was the way in which I was feeling the absence of my lady. Five days without seeing her face, hearing her voice, or even opening an e-mail from her. It sucks to be that far removed from someone you love. And for the first time that I can recall, I wished I had a cell phone, and I was also excited when it came time to return to Pittsburgh.

OK, all of that being said, here are the pics I took while I was gone. Enjoy!

The Steeler fans have a new flag this year.



Walking through town.



Day and night.







The Fort















This is the place where Santa stays when he visit's Ft Recovery for all of the children there.



Of course, I had to get a shot with the water tower in the background.



And it's just barely visible in this one too.



And more shots with the water tower in the background.





For those of you who don't already know this about me. The water tower is what I consider to be the quintessential image of Ft Recovery. Maybe even more than the replica of the fort. It was always the first thing I'd see when we came here when I was young. And it was always the last thing I'd see as we left. It was the beacon that stood out as if to say "This way for food and rest". And rest I do find while I'm there.
of course, the following pics also lend to that sense of homey comfort that I mentioned earlier.









And, as I mentioned the last time I visited, I spent some time sitting in the park next to this "memorial" to a fallen brother.



I find a strange solitude with God here. Moreso than anywhere else I know.

But I also find a pleasure in the fact that the nearby park/playground is another comfort of home that I can enjoy here.



And finally, a couple of shots that have a more specific significance to a few people that will enjoy them.

Well, JT, apparently the most interesting man in the world does his grocery shopping in Ft Recovery, because they've got his beer right here on their shelves...



Stay thirsty my friends.

Now, allow me to share the story behind this flower arrangement.



Remember how I said Paula had come to dinner at Mom's on Sunday night two weeks earlier. Well, she brought these flowers with her. And since Mom enjoyed the flowers, the colors and even the length of time that they've remained alive & beautiful, she decided that there was no point to leaving them at home where nobody else would be able to enjoy them. So Mom brought them along on our trip. And here they are, exactly two weeks after Paula brought them to her, still looking beautiful. That, to me, is a sign from God!
But this is all I have for now. I promise to share more about how Paula and I came together - in the not-too-distant-future. But for now, you'll just have to be patient as we allow God to grow our relationship into something that is nothing short of a miracle.

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger One Wink at a Time said...

Glad you had a good trip. Your post was pretty much all-inclusive but I noticed one thing missing but I decided that you must really be in love. Normally you would have posted pics of the meal...Yep, all that missing Paula must have kept your mind off the food! *wink wink*

10:01 PM  
Blogger M+ said...

Wink,
I just wasn't that into the food this time around. I've been trying to cut back some and eat healthier.

Yes, because I want to have along and healthy life with my lady.

I even made sure to take a walk after ever meal I did eat. That's why there are so many pictures from various times of day and night. I walked for at least half an hour after each meal.

9:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License.