Thursday, January 14, 2010

Sorry for the delay

I will begin this post with a profuse apology for taking so long to get it posted.
I'm sorry. This should've been posted on Saturday. I'll try not to let it happen again.

OK, now comes the hard part; remembering what happened on Friday night when JT, Paula, her youngest son, Tim, and myself headed to Butler to The Net Outreach for a concert.
I do remember that there was a lot of snow. and that it took us nearly two hours to get there - when it usually takes us just under an hour.

Of course, you all know that I went in my capacity as a Volunteer Advocate for Compassion. Little did I know that there was a surprise in store for me.
When we arrived the guys from Manic Drive seemed rather glad to see us. Cool enough that they remembered JT and I, but they remembered that we had something to do with Compassion, too. And I was not aware of it at the time, but they also had something to do with Compassion. But more on that later...

We took my materials in and set up the table. Paula and Tim stopped in the cafe to get coffees for us. Things were starting out kinda slow. But they got better.

The first band come on about 7:30 - a half hour later than things were supposed to start. But they were pretty good. They were a local band called Becoming Less.



I think all of the sets were abbreviated because of the weather and the late start.

Then came our friends, Third From First. I think this is the 5th or 6th time we've seen these guys.



Tim really liked their set. He came back to where Paula was sitting next to me and just kept going on about the guitar solo on one of their songs. And he couldn't wait till everything was over so he could talk to them.
This was a high point for me because I really wanted him to have fun with us. He did.

Next up was Burning Yesterday. A more hardcore band, but not a screaming metal band, though Paula thinks they were....









Tim really liked these guys too. And once again I was happy to hear it because I wanted to know he was really enjoying the show.

Finally came the main act, Manic Drive.













Now, I have to say this first. I made sure to get video of their intro, because last year's intro was so cool and funny. And this year's was even better. Unfortunately, the video won't load into a post, so I can't let anyone see it. But I'll tell everyone a little bit about it.
They basically made fun of the book/movie series, Twilight, by describing themselves as vampires and poking fun at the movies while doing it. It was pretty cool.
They did an excellent set. Tim loved the way the guitarist did the robot while he played.
They even added their funky wind-sock guys (see pics above) to the show. But they added something else that kinda took me by surprise - a Compassion presentation.
They had been told that there hadn't been enough notice to get any Compassion volunteers to the show, but this is already my monthly gig. So when I showed up, and they remembered me from last year and being their neighbor at the Moraine State Park Summer Festival, they were excited to know that Compassion actually did manage to get a couple of volunteers there on such short notice.
They did a packet pass. I handed out 6 child packets and got two sponsorships, two guys came up and admitted they couldn't afford it right now, but they wanted to now if they could go online when they could afford it.

After the shows were done Tim got posters and autographs from all of the bands. I talked to the guys from Becoming Less because they collectively sponsored a child. I told themI'd gladly bring a table to any of their shows if they'd like that. They seemed a bit interested. So I may have more gigs to set up at in the future.
Then the guys from Manic Drive came over to thank me for showing up with such short notice. That's when I told them I had already arranged to be there each month, so it worked out great for us both. It was good to just talk to them a little bit about their involvement with Compassion. And I told them I was glad they did the presentation because that helps me with my ministry too.
We wrapped things up around 12:00 and headed back out into the snow for a cautious 1 1/2 hour ride home. But I'd have to say it was well worth the trip, both ways. Tim and Paula both got to experience their first concert. Paula got to watch me do my thing for Compassion. JT realized that all of the local bands know us - and are fans of his podcast. And me, I got to do my ministry with people I love. What a way to kick off the new year...
Who could ask for more?

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger One Wink at a Time said...

Sounds like you had a really great night all around. We like that : )

8:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License.